Every month, I share the articles and sites that I found most interesting. Here’s what caught my attention in May.
Happy Easter–or Passover–if you celebrate! If you don’t celebrate either, Happy Cheap-Chocolate-Day Eve!
1. finishing… the third(!!) draft of The Black Sun!
2. trying… the iOS version of Scrivener. So far, so good, though it does make it a little difficult to walk away from the story. (It gets weirdly tempting to edit scenes when the cat wakes me up at four o’clock in the morning. Not that she did that twice in the past two weeks or anything.)
3. getting… my tickets for Endgame. (And making sure I’ve got waterproof mascara on hand, because I have a feeling I’m gonna need it.)
4. figuring… out a way to organize Evernote that might actually work for me. Finally.
5. looking… forward to the Veronica Mars revival. Now I just need to figure out how I can watch it in Canada.
6. wondering… why all my library holds suddenly become available at the same time every time. It’s hard to keep up.
7. finding… everything I need for my first big sewing project of the year, and I’m so excited to get started.
8. buying… a new jacket. I wasn’t planning on it, and I’m not happy about the unexpected expense, but my old one finally gave up the ghost and it’s not warm enough for my denim jacket just yet. (At least it was on sale?)
9. making… hot cross buns. I’ve mostly got the recipe down–they taste amazing–but they’re still not very pretty. (Does anyone have advice for working with brioche-style dough? It seems to have a mind of its own, and I can’t convince it to stay in nice round buns.)
10. trying… to remember the difference between em-dashes and en-dashes. I never know which one to use.
Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving weekend!
1. reading… some very good books.
2. feeling… inspired.
3. getting… irrationally frustrated every time I see someone talk about “fonts” when they mean “lettering.” (Actually. No. It’s not irrational. Fonts and lettering are not the same thing, and I love them both.)
4. buying… one of the dress patterns I was swooning over a few weeks ago. I’m sure it’ll drive me batty, but that’s fine. It’s worth it.
5. starting… to narrow down my options for the Christmas baking marathon.
6. enduring… a cold.
7. resisting… the temptation to buy a bunch of new camera gear. (Sort of. I’m channelling the temptation into research, planning, and motivation.)
8. waiting… for the new series of Doctor Who. Only a few hours to go!
9. accepting… that I’m not going to reach my running goals for the year. I’m going to be spending the rest of the season just getting back to where I was before the humidity derailed me. But that’s ok. There’s always next year.
10. looking… forward to getting back to work. I’ve got a lot of plans for the next few weeks, and I can’t wait.
1. reaching… my limit with the heat wave. It’s officially making me miserable, and I want it to be over. (The humidity’s been a little less oppressive this weekend, so I’m hoping things’ll start to improve.)
2. feeling… anxious. It’s fine. It’s all fine.
3. sitting… outside and eating ice cream by candlelight. (See #1. It’s the one nice thing about the weather lately.)
4. organizing… ten years’ worth of old analogue photos. It’s not too bad (they’re mostly in order already, I’m just culling the duplicates and genuinely bad photos and moving the rest from envelopes into proper boxes), but… it’s a weird experience.
5. watching… all the shows I didn’t get to during the regular season. So many series finales are making me cry—in the best way—this year.
6. thinking… of new ideas.
7. getting… ready to send The Black Sun off to my beta readers. 😳
8. falling… behind on my podcasts. Let’s be honest: it was only a matter of time.
9. finding… the last few (big) pieces for the office redo. It’s all details from here.
10. missing… the merlins. Now that the little ones have left the nest, the original pair has moved on. Hopefully, they’ll be back next year.
P.S.: Don’t forget—I’ve started a newsletter! If you want a deeper look into what I’m working on, that’s the place to get it. I’d love to see you there.
1. loving… Barbara Kean’s hair on the current season of Gotham. (In the first season, I kept getting distracted by architecture. This season, it’s her hair.)
2. looking… at new productivity systems. (Always.) As much as I love the bullet journal concept, I have to admit that it doesn’t quite work for me as well as digital, and I haven’t found a workflow that clicks for me. I’d like to experiment a little bit, and maybe come up with something that does work in time for the new year. (Plus, the last few weeks have been a mess, and I need to get some order into my days again.)
3. making… friends with kittens. It’s a compulsion.
4. enduring… another cold. This is getting annoying.
5. starting… to narrow down my recipe ideas for the holiday baking marathon. Sort of.
6. staying… on top of my Project 365 photos! Even with this stupid cold!
7. daydreaming… about ditching all my NaNoWriMo plans and writing horror instead. I’m not going to—I still love my story, and I don’t have time to plan something new—but I’m a little bit tempted.
8. hoping… that I won’t have to cancel plans again this week. (Stupid colds.)
9. thinking… about switching back to Moleskines as my notebook of choice. I love the Leuchtturm1917 paper and general organization, but the way the spine cracks makes me sad; Moleskines seem to be more durable. I’ve already got a Leuchtturm1917 waiting in the wings, but after that… I might go back. (And, yes, I spend far too much time thinking about notebooks.)
10. exploring… the new Ikea, and counting the days until my bookshelves are back in stock.
1. falling… in love with even more kittens.
2. catching… up on my Project 365 posts! Finally! (The big roundup will be here later today.)
3. taking… care of the balcony plants. It’s really late, but they’re finally officially planted.
4. thinking… about my game plan for this year’s NaNoWriMo.
5. working… on my painting.
6. debating… whether or not I should buy a new camera bag. (I don’t really need one, but the ones I have don’t meet my requirements, at all. And the one I’ve got my eye on is on sale, and… ugh.)
7. watching… Iron Fist (meh), Riverdale (so much fun!) and Orphan Black (so good!).
8. getting… ready to maybe eventually make a few very minor changes around here. Or maybe some big changes? I don’t know. I just feel like it’s time for a change.
9. making… my favourite coffee ice cream. (Recipe in the Big Gay Ice Cream cookbook.)
10. hating… the humidity. Always.
1. finding… some inexpensive pens that might meet my admittedly-specific criteria.
2. falling… behind on my 365 photo project. 😬 I’m trying to catch up (promise!). (It was around this time last year that my weekly photo project fell apart, wasn’t it? Apparently, I just lose all photographic motivation in the summer. Which seems weird.)
3. hoping… that the balcony plants survive. Building maintenance means I haven’t been able to plant them properly yet… it’s so annoying.
4. putting… my plans in place for the next few months, and generally taking some time to get myself back on track.
5. watching… all the shows that I missed during the actual TV season.
6. wishing… that this weekend was a little better, weather-wise. I’d hoped to get out for some of the Canada Day stuff, but the idea of standing around in the rain/drizzle/etc. doesn’t really appeal.
7. thinking… that I really need to start doing something real with this blog again, don’t I?
8. reevaluating… my various creative projects. (I suppose this is technically part of #4. I’ve been thinking about my work process and the work itself. There are changes on the way.)
9. wondering… why one particular ice cream recipe doesn’t seem to work for me. (I’ve used other—nearly identical—recipes from the same source with no trouble, but I’ve tried this one twice and it just doesn’t work. Still tastes good, at least.)
10. unsubscribing… from the email newsletters and blog feeds that don’t inspire me.
1. loving… the new season of Doctor Who. Already. (Even if I keep forgetting that it’s on.)
2. thinking… about my daily schedule, and the changes I want to make. (And trying to come up with a good way to figure some of this stuff out.)
3. baking… hot cross buns. I’ve never quite been able to get them right (I have no idea why. I’m fine with other breads), but I finally did it! They were pretty close to perfect. (I also made cheesecake. It was delicious, too.)
4. noticing… some interesting influences in the story I’m outlining.
5. eating… far too much chocolate.
6. planning… to bake a chocolate cake. Because of course I am.
7. working… on something that strongly resembles a Plan. It’s… kind of freaking me out, actually. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not.
8. playing… with themes and variations in my photo project. It’s been fun, and I’m really happy with the result.
9. chopping… off my hair. It’s not too short (kinda wish I’d gone shorter), but it’s… sassier.
10. looking… ahead at a busy week.
1. fixing… a weird problem with the site. (Basically, if you looked at the site a little more than an hour before this post went live… there was nothing here. At all.) I’ve got the issue itself sorted, but there might still be a few little problems. Trust that I’ll have it cleaned up in a day or so.
2. working… on two different story outlines (one new, one for draft 2 of the NaNoWriMo novel). I’m having way more fun than I expected.
3. having… one of my occasional creative/existential freak-outs. It only lasted two days! This is progress!
4. running… into problems with the tote bag I’ve been making. (This is why I shouldn’t improvise this kind of thing.) The project’s on hold while I sort out the logistics.
5. re-watching… Prison Break. Not the whole thing… just enough to remind myself where we left off before I start watching the new season.
6. finalizing… plans for the huge painting that I’ve kinda-sorta been planning for a few years now. I will get it done within the next few weeks. (… and I’ve already started planning a second painting. So.)
7. doing… a little research. I have plans.
8. looking… for a good casual game for iOS. (Since I started limiting my news & Twitter browsing, I’ve got weird little empty blocks of time that I don’t know what to do with.)
9. playing… with HeroMachine. I suppose it’s technically procrastination, but I have my reasons, and it’s not a complete waste of time.
10. making… deep dish pizza, for the first time in ages. So good!
1. starting… my second photo project for the year. I’ll be talking about it soon.
2. getting… back on track. Everything that I neglected over the holidays is falling back into place, and it’s fantastic.
3. wishing… for better weather. Every time I make up my mind to go out and do something, it’s either raining or cold. Stupid winter.
4. making… bread. It’s been a few weeks; it’s time to get back in the habit.
5. watching… Class. I’m not entirely sure what I was expecting going in, but it’s a lot of fun. (That said, as far as Doctor Who spinoffs go, what I really want is more Torchwood.)
6. trying… to read more comics this year. (It’s not exactly difficult. It’s not a medium I read a lot.) If you have recs, please let me know!
7. thinking… up lots of new and exciting ideas.
8. feeling… annoyed. The downside of being (relatively) organized: when I do drop the ball, even on something minor, it really bothers me.
9. catching…a glimpse of the finish line on my NaNoWriMo draft. I’m so close—I should be wrapping it up this week.
10. starting… to feel like I need to cut my hair.