I have no idea what’s going on with July. It’s been one of those months that’s simultaneously been dragging on forever and is disappearing in a flash. But July is almost over (however that happened), and I guess it’s time to think about how it went.
I’m going to start with photography, because that’s the bit that doesn’t make me want to tear out my hair this month. (Fair warning for when I get to the writing bit of this update.)
I’m still in that rut I mentioned in June, still taking far too many photos of flowers and not enough photos of literally anything else. So that’s not great. But I’m still carrying a real camera a few times a week, and I do like the photos I’m taking, even if they’re kind of boring.
But the real progress has been in the super-secret Big Scary Project. I’m still not ready to launch, but I have made some huge steps forward this month. (That ‘next step’ I mentioned at the end of June—the one that required an incredibly tedious bus ride? I actually tackled that the day after I said that it was going to be my top priority for July. And the bus out there wasn’t air conditioned, so it was pretty much exactly as painful as I imagined it’d be. It was slightly better coming back—at least there was a/c.)
Point is, I’m incredibly proud of the progress I’ve made on that project this month, and I’m super excited about the next steps. If I can keep the momentum going, I’ll be ready to make some actual announcements by fall.
Now. Writing. (Feel free to skip this bit. Last warning.)
Happy Canada Day! 🇨🇦
1. slacking… on my photo project. (It’s been a boring couple of days.) I’m going to try to get back to it today.
2. baking… bread on the hottest, most humid day of the year, because of course I was.
3. hoping… I’ll be able to finally paint the balcony furniture this weekend. (It’s a long weekend, so I still have time.)
4. cleaning… up my social media accounts.
5. celebrating… the start of iced-coffee season.
6. finding… my focus again.
7. twisting… something in my back. So that’s been fun. (I thought it was healed, but I seem to have aggravated it again.)
8. feeling… drained. The heat and humidity I mentioned in #2 hit me hard.
9. making… the summer’s first batch of ice cream.
10. reediting… some favourite photos.
1. working… on those behind-the-scenes projects I mentioned. I’ll be ready to launch very soon, and I’m so excited to share them with you guys!
2. processing… my post-Infinity War emotions. They’re… complex. (In a good way!)
3. hemming… curtains. The excitement never ends.
4. thinking… about Violet Lane. I’m not ready to give up on it, but it still doesn’t feel like I’m on the right track with it.
5. building… a proper running routine for the summer. Finally!
6. starting… the annual search for a sunscreen I don’t hate. (If you have a suggestion, let me know in the comments! I need something that keeps me ghostly-pale without leaving chalky white stains on all my black clothes.)
7. getting… over myself. At least a little.
8. troubleshooting… weird phone issues.
9. considering… a new design for the site. Which is absurd—I like the current design, it’s functional, and it hasn’t even been a full year since the last redesign—but I’m fickle and easily distracted by shiny things.
10. daydreaming… about homemade ice cream. Soon.
1. wanting… to just spend all my time making cool stuff.
2. playing… this Salt N Pepa & The Stooges mashup, over and over again. I can’t stop. (via)
3. looking… for a basic recipe for hamburger buns. I’ve got recipes, but I want something fairly simple (and relatively quick. I’m willing to sacrifice some taste for convenience in this case.)
4. catching… up on the current season of Orphan Black.
5. getting… back into drawing. Or… I’m trying to. (For various reasons. I’ll probably go into more detail soon.)
6. realizing… that I really need to build up my summer wardrobe. (On the bright side, it’s not feeling remotely like summer yet, so I’ve got time.)
7. thinking… about how I approach creative projects, and some of the assumptions I work under. I’m reassessing a lot of things. It’s good.
8. feeling… you know that weird sense of loss that comes with finishing a really good book? This isn’t quite that, but that’s the closest description I can come up with.
9. needing… a few sunny, dry days in a row. It doesn’t even need to be warm; I just need to be able to paint the patio furniture. (But! I’ve managed to get my planting done! So that’s good.)
10. being… a bit of a bad influence. No regrets.
1. starting… my annual search for a high-SPF sunscreen that doesn’t leave chalky stains all over everything. (Have a recommendation? Let me know. Please. I’m desperate. I’m also super pale and wear a lot of black.)
2. feeling… productive. And inspired. I seem to be getting stuff done for once. It’s kind of awesome.
3. planting… this summer’s garden. Or getting ready to, at least.
4. getting… over my fear of horizontal stripes. Apparently.
5. pretending… that the Jem and the Holograms movie doesn’t exist. (Not linking to the trailer; if you want to see it you can find it.) 7-year-old me (who was always Stormer when she and her friends played ‘Jem’—and hell yes I wanted to be one of the Misfits) would be so disappointed.
6. trying… to get (back?) into the Twitter habit. And Instagram.
7. thinking… that if a certain beta reader hadn’t gone AWOL a few years ago, she’d be blown away by the stuff I’ve been working on lately.
8. wishing… the cat wasn’t quite so obsessed with routine. I can’t remember the last time I got to sleep in, even a little.
9. looking… for a good iOS text editor. Markdown support is nice, Dropbox support is essential, but other than that, is just needs to be as straightforward as possible. (And look nice.)
10. putting… the finishing touches on something new. It’ll be up tomorrow.
1. getting… back to work. It’s fantastic.
2. eating… homemade cherry sorbet. Lovely.
3. planning… the next few months.
4. waiting… out the storm. (Which has probably passed by the time you’re reading this, but I’m scheduling this post just in case we lose power.)
5. remembering… that I really prefer spring and autumn to summer.
6. reading… too many slightly-embarrassing novels.
7. thinking… about paint colours, still.
8. trying… to put together a photoshoot that shouldn’t be so difficult.
9. making… up my mind.
10. wondering… when series two of Utopia is going to air in Canada.