Hey, remember those ‘under construction’ gifs that used to be all over GeoCities? I kind of miss those days.
It’s time for a few changes around here. Nothing too dramatic right away—I’m starting with some cosmetic changes and we’ll see where I go from there—but it’s probably going to take a couple of days (… or weeks) before everything works (and looks) the way I want it to. I’ve been trying to choose between two only-slightly-different themes for at least a week, and I can’t imagine I’m going to get less fussy about it as I go.
So, if you’re looking around and anything seems to be broken… I’ll get to it soon. Promise. If this post is still pinned to the top of the blog, I’m not finished yet. (And of course, none of this is going to matter if you’re reading this via RSS or the WordPress reader. You can wait until I’m done to check out the finished product. I’ll let you know when it’s ready.)
Things have been… scattered around here for the last couple of weeks, I know. Sorry about that. I’ve been battling a cold, and on a bit of a mini-vacation, but that’s not an excuse, just an explanation.
I’m going to try to get back on track in the next few days. The regular posts that I missed (September’s sketchbook, the last two reboot updates) aren’t going to happen; I’ll just roll them into the next ones. I’m hoping to have my first NaNo prep update for you this weekend (no later than Monday, promise), and the next issue of the newsletter will go out on the 7th, as planned.
1. starting… to think about cutting my hair. It’s reaching that awkward length.
2. trying… Low Point cold brew. Finally. (It’s been on my radar for ages, but I haven’t found any until this week.) It’s not as dark and chocolatey as I usually like my coffee to be, but the fruit and wine notes are kind of amazing (and super refreshing).
3. simplifying… a few things.
4. meeting… the neighbour’s puppy! (The one I’ve been low-key stalking.) He’s an 11-week-old Boston terrier, and still the tiniest thing in the world.
5. making… these rice noodles with peanut-lime chicken. It’s a seriously good dish, one of my favourite summer recipes since I first tried it two years ago.
6. narrowing… down my options for NaNoWriMo.
7. tackling… some of the changes to the website that have been on my list for months. (If you’re reading this through RSS or something similar, swing by the site itself and tell me what you think!)
8. looking… for a new desktop wallpaper. (Or wallpapers, since I’m ready for a change on all my devices.)
9. hoping… I’ll be able to start making bread again next weekend. (I haven’t been bothering lately, because of the heat.) I’ve already decided that I’m going to be trying my hand at sourdough this fall, so the sooner I can get back to it, the better.
10. thinking… about baking, just in general. It’s been a while.
I’ve been hinting at a couple of projects I’m working on behind the scenes, and it’s finally time to announce the first one:
I’m launching a newsletter!
If you already subscribe to the blog via email, this is different. It will include links to my best blog posts, but other than that it will be entirely new: exclusive updates on the projects I’m working on (including sneak-peeks), early announcements, and occasional surprises.
(If you do subscribe to the blog, nothing about that will change. You’ll continue to receive all posts as usual, and you will not be automatically signed up for the newsletter.)
The newsletter will go out twice a month: there will be a photography-related issue on the 7th, and a fiction-focussed issue on the 21st. (If I have a particularly big announcement to make, that might merit its own email, but those will have to be very special circumstances.) That’s it. I will never spam you, I promise.
If you’re only interested in my fiction—or my photography—that’s cool. I understand completely. You can choose to receive only the writing-related or photo-related updates, and change those preferences at any time.
If you’d like to subscribe (and I hope you will!), here’s the sign-up form. (I’ll be adding links to the site over the next week or so.)
The first issue of ‘Postcards from Reghan Skerry’ goes out next week!
There’s a new project in the Portfolio!
The biggest surprise of my current photo project has been how much I love taking pictures of plants and flowers in black and white. Flowers are one of my favourite subjects anyway (especially this time of year!), but I thought it might get boring without colour. It hasn’t.
I expect I’ll be adding to this particular gallery as the summer goes on, but for now I couldn’t resist putting my favourite photos in one place. Enjoy!
Whatever you celebrate (even if that’s just a few days off), I hope it’s a good one.
I’m going to be taking a bit of a break from the blog and most social media until 2 January. I’ll still be on Instagram, and my last(!) two Project 365 posts will arrive on schedule, but that’s all. (I’ll be checking email occasionally, but I’m not likely to respond until after the new year, unless I decide it’s an absolute emergency.)
It’s time to take a step back, enjoy the holidays, and then spend some time figuring out what comes next.
See you in 2018!
I’m moving the site to a new host (more on that in a few days, probably), which means a new design (which is good!) and potential weirdness (which is… not).
I already know that some of the photos haven’t made the trip, and I’m working on fixing that. I know that some of the links are broken, and… well. When I find them, I’ll fix them.
In the meantime, it’s going to be a few days before everything is running smoothly around here. If you stumble onto anything that seems terribly broken, please let me know in the comments! I might know about it, but if I don’t, I want to.
It’s ready! A day early!
Let’s call this a “soft launch,” shall we? Not everything is quite ready to go yet, and I know I’m going to be making some changes—major and minor—over the next few weeks, as I figure out the best way to organize some things. (I very nearly changed the entire site structure two days ago, but I think I’m happy with things the way they are. For now.) But… I think I’m ready to share it. Or, if I don’t do it now, I never will.
In the meantime, take a look around. If you have any thoughts on the new design, or if you run into any problems, please let me know.
Happy New Year!
1. wishing… I could show you the fantastic project I’ve been working on, but doing so would be a spoiler for someone’s Christmas present. I’ll share it in January.
2. resisting… temptation. Nostalgia’s been a bitch this week.
3. loving… this 1985 interview with Steve Jobs. It’s fantastic.
4. getting… more annoyed each time I see ‘overwhelm’ used as a noun. I know it’s technically correct (or has a historical precedent, at least), but that doesn’t make it right. (Seriously. This bothers me a lot. There are better words. Use them.)
5. starting… my week-long baking marathon. (This just became one of my favourite biscotti recipes ever.)
6. waiting… for one last parcel to arrive. (Looks like it’ll be here in time, but who knows?)
7. preparing… for the site relaunch. The 1 January deadline I set for myself doesn’t feel quite as impossible as it did earlier in the month.
8. feeling… curious. And strangely unsettled. This is such a weird time of year.
9. hoping… that I’m not coming down with a cold. I really can’t spare the time.
10. wondering… why I haven’t gone to see Star Wars yet. (Answer: because I’m insanely busy. Still. I saw the prequels opening day. I can’t believe I wasn’t in the cinema on Thursday.)
Just a quick note to let you know that I’m on vacation this week–and probably away from the computer–and though I’m going to do my very best to stay on top of things here, I can’t make any guarantees.
Normal posting will resume next week.