1. thinking… about what comes next.
2. baking… a batch of doughnuts, mostly to test the pan I bought a while ago. They were so easy (and good), I have a feeling this is going to turn into a regular thing.
3. reminding… myself that I spent a long time debating the merits of different WordPress themes before switching to this one, and I really don’t need to move to a new one already. Even if I’m really tempted.
4. daydreaming… about opening a bookstore/cafe. I actually wish the thought hadn’t popped into my head, because it’s definitely not feasible and it’s still all I can think about right now.
5. digging… out the scarves and fingerless gloves. It’s time!
6. wishing… the WordPress block editor cooperated with Markdown. And proper HTML, honestly. (The dedicated Markdown blocks don’t cut it, and I hate the extra steps needed to manually add alt tags to links—enough that regularly skip that step, and then feel guilty about it.)
7. making… up my mind.
8. abandoning… Pinterest. Now if I can just wean myself off Twitter and Instagram, everything will be perfect.
9. trying… not to let anxiety get the better of me. (Not just the stuff I was talking about the other day. Everything is difficult right now.)
10. running… late.
The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a wash, and I’m genuinely struggling to think of things I’ve actually done. But let’s try anyway.
1. craving… ice cream. I haven’t made a single batch yet this year.
2. wondering… if the new coffee beans I got for the office are really this bitter, or if it’s just the way I’m tasting things right now. (Stupid cold.)
3. worrying… about the balcony plants. The building-supply place around the corner closed last summer (they’re building a hideous corporate HQ in its place, which infuriates me for so many reasons), and buying plants has been difficult enough without a nearby garden centre, but now I have to try to get potting soil before the herbs die.
4. avoiding… the rain. Barely.
5. starting… to wean myself off Pinterest, or at least change the way I use it. (If anyone can recommend something that works better as a digital ‘swipe file,’ let me know. I use Evernote for a lot, but sometimes a grid view helps spark ideas better than a list.)
6. reorganizing… the archives.
7. recognizing… some missing skills in my writing life, and taking steps to build them.
8. finishing… the stack of books at my bedside. I’ve still got at least a dozen ebooks to read, but it’s something.
9. trying… not to let my anxiety get the better of me.
10. looking… forward to things getting back to normal.
1. searching… for simple (but nice!) unscented candles. When did they become so difficult to find? (Scented candles do not belong on the dinner table. And yet.)
2. accepting… that I’m just in a weird headspace right now, and the only real creative work that will be done for the rest of the year is making plans for 2018.
3. reminding… myself that I tend to blow things out of proportion. It’s never as bad/weird/whatever as I imagine it’s going to be.
4. listening… to DJ Riko’s Merry Mixmas 2017. I say it every year, but these mixes are amazing, and they always put me in the Christmas spirit. (I’ve been downloading these mixes every year since 2005.)
5. rolling… my eyes at USPS package tracking. I’m getting updates every day (which Canada Post could learn from, btw), but my parcel keeps bouncing back and forth between San Francisco and Denver.
6. getting… myself motivated for the upcoming review & goalsetting session. It’s one of my very favourite things, and I think this year’s going to be a good one.
7. freaking… out just a little bit. I felt like I had plenty of time before Christmas and the new year… until I didn’t.
8. making… gingerbread cardamom waffles. (Like: literally, at the moment this post goes live, that’s what I’m doing.) It’s turned into a bit of a tradition on the day that I decorate the tree. They’re so good.
9. trying… to catch up with everything I ignored during NaNoWriMo. (Oh, look: Pinterest has fixed the issue with the feed, but it’s still so full of ads that I don’t want to bother.)
10. wondering… if the extended metaphor I came up with the other day is actually the seed of a story. (It could be a pretty badass YA thing. Or it could be Marvel fanfic that I’m never ever going to write. Even if it would be cool.)
1. finishing… up the move to the new webhost. The big things are done, now I’ve just got to find + fix all the little problems.
2. wondering… whether the new cat in the neighbourhood is a stray, or just an outdoor cat who likes to hang around the parking lot. She’s the friendliest little thing.
3. starting… a different running program. The C25K plan I’d been following wasn’t working for me. (I hit a plateau, and then I got bored, and then… yeah.) The new plan is more challenging, more interesting, and seems to be working better for me.
4. baking… bread again. It’s finally cool enough to think about turning the oven on. (I might actually be making cookies sometime soon.)
5. looking… forward to the new IKEA store. Like… I’m really excited. (Bookshelves!)
6. making… up my mind. I know what I’m going to write for NaNoWriMo. Now the planning starts.
7. editing… photos.
8. losing… my love for Pinterest. It’s been awful lately: so many ads, the new algorithm makes my carefully-curated feed absolutely useless, and their stats don’t make any sense.
9. trying… about a hundred different productivity systems, and finally (hopefully) starting to find something that works for me.
10. watching… The Defenders. (And catching up on Ripper Street.)
1. hoping… for good weather. It’s been so humid lately.
2. thinking… about a new feature or two for this site.
3. running… a day or two behind on my Project 365 posts… again. Grr. (I mean, I’m almost up-to-date. But not quite.)
4. getting… more and more frustrated with Pinterest every day. Not only are the ads getting more and more obnoxious (I don’t object to ads in general, but in practice these ones are seriously annoying), but they’ve apparently stopped showing my feed in any kind of order (so I’m missing new stuff and seeing old stuff over and over again), and, the last two days, it’s been impossible to pin images from anywhere but the site itself. It’s maddening.
5. finishing… my painting! I haven’t put it up yet (there are reasons), or even decided which way I want to orient it (the joys of abstract art!), but the painting itself is done!
6. looking… at new to-do lists and productivity systems. This is sort of a week off for me, so it feels like a good time to reevaluate how I do things.
7. taking… Lucy for her annual terrorize-the-vet’s-office visit. (They’ve actually said that she doesn’t need to come back next year. Unless there’s an actual reason, they’re perfectly fine with her only coming in when she needs to have her vaccinations updated.)
8. buying… that new camera bag I was thinking about. So far, I love it… the real test is going to be this week.
9. falling… out of love with Twitter. It makes me a little sad, but… yeah. I keep feeling like I should use it more, but I don’t really want to.
10. making… early plans for NaNoWriMo.