I’m starting to feel good about my photos again. Mostly. This batch isn’t amazing, and they’re mostly from the phone—I’ve gotten over my cold, but the one time I felt well enough to take a real camera out in the past ten days, I promptly got hit with a brand new wave of symptoms—but they’re not just flowers, and they’re not just random stuff I can see without getting up off the couch.
There are some weeks when I really don’t know what to say about the photos I’ve taken.
This is one of those weeks.
The last ten days of photos… aren’t great. They’re not awful, I don’t actively hate any of them, but… most of them are ok at best. I only genuinely like two of these photos.
Over the last week or so, I haven’t been paying as much attention to photography as I’d like—I’m relying on my phone, and still taking photos just to check it off the to-do list, rather than putting any kind of effort in.
About two weeks ago, I picked up set of cheap clip-on lenses for my phone. They’re nothing fancy, but they’re a fun little toy—especially the macro lens. (I’m still getting the hang of the fisheye and wide-angle attachments.)
1. loving… everything about Captain Marvel. So much. Including the kid two seats down from me who fist-pumped and shouted ‘yes!’ at the end of the mid-credits scene. (He also air-drummed his way through ‘Celebrity Skin,’ which was kind of awesome. On that note: the soundtrack was pretty much just one of the mixtapes I made in junior high. Which made the whole thing even better.)
2. worrying… about Lucy. She wasn’t feeling well, and had to go to the vet. But she’s doing better now, and the vet says that she’s otherwise in very good health. I had a couple of very anxious days, though.
3. realizing… that I still haven’t changed the time on the office clock. (Which should give you an idea of how often I look at it.)
4. looking… for Cadbury Creme Eggs. I can’t seem to find them this year, which of course means I really want one.
5. trying… to wear dresses and skirts more often. I’m out of practice.
6. making… a major breakthrough in my revisions on The Black Sun. You guys. It’s gonna be so good.
7. realizing… that it’s going to be time start running again soon. I need to make some new playlists.
8. spending… a little too much money lately. Time to rein that in.
8. giving… up on the sourdough starter. Just for a little while. I’ll try again when I’m a bit less frustrated with it. (It keeps almost working, and then… not.)
10. feeling… uninspired. It’s just been one of those weeks.
I’m a day late posting the roundup, but I haven’t fallen behind on the project itself, so I’m not going to worry about it.
I’ve been using my instant cameras a little more often, which is a lot of fun, but… it’s weird. The Lomo’Instant, in particular, never works quite the way I’m expecting it to, and I’m still figuring out how to make it do what I want. And I love that—I love that I can’t rely on the camera to compensate for any flaws in my own skill—but, at the same time, I’m a bit gun-shy about really experimenting with it. Instax film isn’t exactly cheap, and every imperfect photo reminds me of that.
But I’m not going to improve if I’m scared of imperfection.
I have to keep reminding myself of that.
This is where things start to get tricky. I’ve been taking photos every day for three weeks, and… I’m starting to run out of ideas.
I was genuinely nervous to start this 366 project. Like… if I hadn’t announced it here, I might have backed out at the last minute. I was tempted.
1. surviving… NaNoWriMo. (I’m tempted to just leave that as the entire post. That’s it. That’s all I did the past two weeks.)
2. making… my plans for 2019. (And December, to be honest—after I’ve had a couple of days to recover, it’s full steam ahead.)
3. missing… the dachshund that lived downstairs. She’s an absolute delight, but she and her person moved out this week, so now I won’t get to see what colour coat she’s wearing on her walks every day. (My favourite is the dapper green one.)
4. enduring… construction and power outages and terrible weather.
5. looking… forward to things getting back to normal. Or sort of normal. For a couple of weeks?
6. craving… coffee. (I mean… I’ve been drinking coffee. Obviously. But I just want to sit in a coffee shop and relax for a while.)
7. going… a bit overboard with Christmas prep. Still not decorating until the 15th, but… I may have bought some stuff.
8. feeling… tired.
9. collecting… enamel pins. It’s becoming a bit of an obsession.
10. wishing… the cat would stop waking me up at 4:30 in the morning. She still hasn’t quite adjusted to the time change.
1. wishing… the cat didn’t like the comfy reading chair I got for the office quite so much. I seriously never get to use it.
2. wondering… what happened to my nice fall weather. I was not ready for snow.
3. realizing… that it’s been years since I made an apple pie. Years. That’s ridiculous, and I have to do something about it.
4. feeling… like I’m close to a breakthrough.
5. trying… to ease back into Twitter.
6. looking… for a good 350mL travel coffee cup. (This is one of those areas where I’m weirdly picky.)
7. realizing… that I’ve got a lot of things I want to do in the next few weeks, and it’s kind of freaking me out.
8. finding… my perfect shirtdress. (In related news, I’m going to start wearing dresses casually again. Really.)
9. loving… the new season of Doctor Who. So much.
10. drinking… all the coffee. 🖤