Happy Easter–or Passover–if you celebrate! If you don’t celebrate either, Happy Cheap-Chocolate-Day Eve!
1. finishing… the third(!!) draft of The Black Sun!
2. trying… the iOS version of Scrivener. So far, so good, though it does make it a little difficult to walk away from the story. (It gets weirdly tempting to edit scenes when the cat wakes me up at four o’clock in the morning. Not that she did that twice in the past two weeks or anything.)
3. getting… my tickets for Endgame. (And making sure I’ve got waterproof mascara on hand, because I have a feeling I’m gonna need it.)
4. figuring… out a way to organize Evernote that might actually work for me. Finally.
5. looking… forward to the Veronica Mars revival. Now I just need to figure out how I can watch it in Canada.
6. wondering… why all my library holds suddenly become available at the same time every time. It’s hard to keep up.
7. finding… everything I need for my first big sewing project of the year, and I’m so excited to get started.
8. buying… a new jacket. I wasn’t planning on it, and I’m not happy about the unexpected expense, but my old one finally gave up the ghost and it’s not warm enough for my denim jacket just yet. (At least it was on sale?)
9. making… hot cross buns. I’ve mostly got the recipe down–they taste amazing–but they’re still not very pretty. (Does anyone have advice for working with brioche-style dough? It seems to have a mind of its own, and I can’t convince it to stay in nice round buns.)
10. trying… to remember the difference between em-dashes and en-dashes. I never know which one to use.
1. hoping… that my merlin friends are going to be back this year. (Do they return to the same nest year after year? I don’t know.) I think I heard one yesterday. (Note: that second photo is very slightly graphic, in a nature documentary sort of way.)
2. tracking… down some Cadbury creme eggs. I had to go to the fancy British grocery to find them and they only carried five-packs, but it turns out the British ones are better than the ones they make for the Canadian market, so that’s something. Craving satisfied.
3. tidying… up my Evernote account.
4. deciding… what I’m going to make for Easter dessert.
5. planning… a new semi-regular thing around here. Only reason I haven’t launched yet is because I can’t figure out what to call it.
6. getting… used to the coffee grinder I got for the office. (There’s a bit of trial and error involved when it comes to quantities.)
7. trying… some new skincare stuff. Half-convinced it’s snake oil, but my skin does feel a bit better.
8. finding… my big-picture inspiration again.
9. looking… for a copy of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. I’ve had an urge to watch it again for the first time in years… and yet. (I prefer physical copies for movies that I want to keep.)
10. wondering… when it’s going to start feeling like spring. They’re calling for a snowstorm tomorrow.
1. loving… the new season of Doctor Who. Already. (Even if I keep forgetting that it’s on.)
2. thinking… about my daily schedule, and the changes I want to make. (And trying to come up with a good way to figure some of this stuff out.)
3. baking… hot cross buns. I’ve never quite been able to get them right (I have no idea why. I’m fine with other breads), but I finally did it! They were pretty close to perfect. (I also made cheesecake. It was delicious, too.)
4. noticing… some interesting influences in the story I’m outlining.
5. eating… far too much chocolate.
6. planning… to bake a chocolate cake. Because of course I am.
7. working… on something that strongly resembles a Plan. It’s… kind of freaking me out, actually. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not.
8. playing… with themes and variations in my photo project. It’s been fun, and I’m really happy with the result.
9. chopping… off my hair. It’s not too short (kinda wish I’d gone shorter), but it’s… sassier.
10. looking… ahead at a busy week.
1. shopping… for new makeup and workout gear.
2. thinking… about storytelling in general, and my next project in particular. It’s going to be interesting.
3. spending… an entire day reviewing & rebooting my goals. (I’m trying to do that once a quarter… so far, so good.)
4. feeling… all the inspiration and motivation that goes along with that. (And a little bit of anxiety, because.)
5. eating… Cadbury Creme Eggs.
6. having… a bit of a ’60s girl group moment.
7. taking… advantage of the time change. It’s the one day a year that the cat lets me sleep in.
8. reading… my NaNoWriMo draft. It… well. It needs a lot of work. But it’s not terrible. I’m still really looking forward to draft two.
9. working… on the tote bag. Still. It really is almost done, but I’ve got to pick up a few bits of hardware before I can wrap it up. (Also: I’m improvising the whole thing, so I keep having ideas that I want to incorporate. They’re not all successful.)
10. settling… on a recipe for Easter dessert. (Turns out, I’m going for cheesecake after all.)
1. narrowing… my focus.
2. fine-tuning… my recipe for hot-cross buns. As far as baking goes, this is still my nemesis; I’ve got the flavour where I want it, I’ve just about got the texture right, now I just need to work on the aesthetics.
3. making… baklava. Because that’s no trouble at all. (100% serious, here. It’s surprisingly easy.)
4. hoping… that it will start to feel like spring soon. Lately, it’s just been a snowless winter.
5. putting… my plans in place for April.
6. exercising… remarkable self-control with my budget.
7. realizing… that I’ve been slacking off around here lately. Sorry about that. I’ve been doing some work behind the scenes, but I’ll try to get back to regular posting soon.
8. looking… for good desktop/phone/tablet wallpapers. I’m in desperate need of a change, but I can’t find anything I like. (Probably because I have rather specific criteria for each device. And I’m just picky.)
9. buying… a fabric de-fuzzer. It’s kind of awesome. Which is kind of boring and makes me feel old.
10. feeling… nostalgic for the strangest things. Like long-defunct blogging platforms. (I don’t know why.)
Since things have been so… odd… around here lately, and since I skipped at least two weeks of regular blogging, I figured that a special double-sized snapshot is in order to let you know what I’ve been up to lately.
1. shopping… for boots. Because I’ll need them if this snow ever melts.
2. researching… obsessively.
3. saying… nothing. Because there have been times when I really couldn’t say anything nice.
4. teaching… myself some new tricks.
5. eating… Cadbury Creme Eggs. Because I’m a grown-up.
6. falling… down. Stupid
late-winter early-spring snowstorms, followed by flash-freezes that turn the sidewalks to super-slick ice.
7. thinking… about how I spend my time (when I have it to spend.)
8. learning… how to fold a fitted sheet, and how to fold a pocket square. (Both of which have been necessary in the last four weeks.)
9. wishing… everything would just go back to normal.
10. settling… on this recipe for hot-cross buns. I’ll let you know how it goes.
11. rolling… my eyes. So much.
12. looking… at cat-food labels. It took ages to find a food that the cat, I, and the vet all agreed on, and… now it seems like Lucy’s decided she hates it. So I need to find something she likes, and that she’ll hopefully keep liking, and that will still help her lose weight.
13. watching… iZombie. ♥ I’d missed Rob Thomas-style dialogue so much. (There’s a great interview with Thomas over at Co.Create, if you missed it.)
14. feeling… committed.
15. missing… signals. (So I’m told. I have my doubts.)
16. reading… The Gear Patrol Film Issue. Fantastic.
17. starting… to put things together.
18. loving… the letter Iggy Pop wrote to a fan in 1995. I adore Iggy so much.
19. updating… my workout playlist. It’s been a while.
20. getting… a bit off-track with some of the projects I’ve been working on. March started well, but… yeah. Starting fresh in April, now that the worst is over (for sure this time.)