1. trying… a new notebook setup.
2. making… an actual plan to try some of the (literal) hundreds of recipes I’ve got saved.
3. catching… another summer cold. I am having the worst luck with that this year.
4. worrying… that I’m about to become one of those insufferable Instagram ‘plant parents.’
5. going… back to the drawing board with Violet Lane.
6. missing… the merlins. They didn’t come back this year, which is sad—I loved watching them—but it does mean that the juncos have been hanging around more. They’re fun, too.
7. watching… some fantastically inspiring movies.
8. buying… a raincoat. I’ve needed a new one—or any water-resistant jacket with a hood, really—for years, but it’s taken me this long to find one I don’t hate.
9. seeing… a few connections I was missing before.
10. waiting… for a couple of very cool deliveries. (And they—mostly—arrived on time!)
1. getting… back to work.
2. talking… myself out of dying my hair pink. Or teal. Or any colour other than blonde. I miss real colour desperately but I know I can’t be bothered to maintain it.
3. planning… the next draft of Violet Lane. I’m ready to start writing on Monday.
4. experimenting… with the whole bullet journal thing again. Turns out the setup I was using didn’t work as well as I thought.
5. trying… Beyond Meat burgers. I was pleasantly surprised—not the best burger I’ve ever had, but perfectly good for something store-bought, and far better than any other veggie burger I’ve had. I’ll have them again. (That said, I do want to finally try making my own veggie burgers this summer.)
6. catching… up on my podcast backlog! Completely! As of right now, there is no backlog. Which means I’m tempted to go looking for something new, to start the cycle all over again.
7. making… plans for the site redesign. Now I just need to pick a day to tear everything down and rebuild.
8. meeting… the new ravens! Over the past few years, I’ve managed to become friendly acquaintances with the local pair; this year I got to see their fledglings! (Which, yes, meant I was standing in the middle of a public path talking to four ravens like they understand English. But four ravens! 😍)
9. starting… to build my DVD/Blu-Ray collection again. I got out of the habit, but as streaming services multiply, it makes more sense to me to buy anything I want to see more than once. Now I need to figure out how to store these things.
10. refining… my goals and updating my inspiration board.
1. starting… to think about cutting my hair. It’s reaching that awkward length.
2. trying… Low Point cold brew. Finally. (It’s been on my radar for ages, but I haven’t found any until this week.) It’s not as dark and chocolatey as I usually like my coffee to be, but the fruit and wine notes are kind of amazing (and super refreshing).
3. simplifying… a few things.
4. meeting… the neighbour’s puppy! (The one I’ve been low-key stalking.) He’s an 11-week-old Boston terrier, and still the tiniest thing in the world.
5. making… these rice noodles with peanut-lime chicken. It’s a seriously good dish, one of my favourite summer recipes since I first tried it two years ago.
6. narrowing… down my options for NaNoWriMo.
7. tackling… some of the changes to the website that have been on my list for months. (If you’re reading this through RSS or something similar, swing by the site itself and tell me what you think!)
8. looking… for a new desktop wallpaper. (Or wallpapers, since I’m ready for a change on all my devices.)
9. hoping… I’ll be able to start making bread again next weekend. (I haven’t been bothering lately, because of the heat.) I’ve already decided that I’m going to be trying my hand at sourdough this fall, so the sooner I can get back to it, the better.
10. thinking… about baking, just in general. It’s been a while.
1. drinking… so much cold brew coffee. 🖤
2. thinking… about Twitter, and whether the idea of it (which I still love) is enough to make up for the current reality. I’ve been looking at Mastodon as an alternative, and so far everyone I’ve met there seems nice, but it’s not the utopia I’ve seen suggested. (This thread raises a lot of good points.) (I’m also not 100% sure I’ve got the patience to deal with another social network.)
3. finding… the perfect DIY solution for the big empty wall. (More on that later. I still need to pick up a few supplies.)
4. making… frozen yogurt. It’s… ok. It tasted fine, but it turns out, I still don’t like the texture of Greek yogurt, even when it’s frozen.
5. trying… to find a new approach. To a lot of things.
6. starting… to think that I might still be able to meet my running goals for the year. It’ll be tricky, and I’ve got to be smart about it, but… maybe?
7. getting… distracted.
8. having… a minor panic attack re: all the stuff I’ve been getting for the office. I’m basically done with the major purchases, though, so it’ll be fine once I get used to it.
9. stalking… the neighbour’s new puppy. I haven’t had a chance to say hello yet, so I end up just staring from the window and sighing. (I think it’s a French bulldog? I’ve only seen it from a distance, but it’s tiny.)
10. daydreaming… about buying a school bus and turning it into a tiny house. To the point of searching for used buses (there are two near me!). (How do I reconcile this with #8? I don’t. At all.)
1. stocking… up on index cards and coloured pens. ❤️
2. trying… to narrow down my choices for this year’s Christmas baking marathon. I have too many recipes.
3. updating… my portfolio. I absolutely love the surfing photos I took this summer.
4. dealing… with a cold. It hasn’t been terrible, just bad enough to destroy my attention span and make me want to sleep all the time. But I think I’m getting better now.
5. starting… to think about my goals for next year. Yes. Already.
6. swooning… over the Super Nintendo Classic. I kind of need one. Hearing the music for Star Fox 2 triggers the same adrenaline rush that the original did when I was 13. (And the Legend of Zelda music might’ve made me tear up, just a little.)
7. making… cranberry sauce and a pumpkin tart.
8. watching… Star Trek: Discovery. It’s really good so far.
9. getting… caught up on my Project 365 posts. I’m so close! I am determined to get through the rest of the year without falling behind again—this has been painful.
10. daydreaming… about tiny little apartments with amazing windows. (This is not a new thing for me.)
1. fixing… a weird problem with the site. (Basically, if you looked at the site a little more than an hour before this post went live… there was nothing here. At all.) I’ve got the issue itself sorted, but there might still be a few little problems. Trust that I’ll have it cleaned up in a day or so.
2. working… on two different story outlines (one new, one for draft 2 of the NaNoWriMo novel). I’m having way more fun than I expected.
3. having… one of my occasional creative/existential freak-outs. It only lasted two days! This is progress!
4. running… into problems with the tote bag I’ve been making. (This is why I shouldn’t improvise this kind of thing.) The project’s on hold while I sort out the logistics.
5. re-watching… Prison Break. Not the whole thing… just enough to remind myself where we left off before I start watching the new season.
6. finalizing… plans for the huge painting that I’ve kinda-sorta been planning for a few years now. I will get it done within the next few weeks. (… and I’ve already started planning a second painting. So.)
7. doing… a little research. I have plans.
8. looking… for a good casual game for iOS. (Since I started limiting my news & Twitter browsing, I’ve got weird little empty blocks of time that I don’t know what to do with.)
9. playing… with HeroMachine. I suppose it’s technically procrastination, but I have my reasons, and it’s not a complete waste of time.
10. making… deep dish pizza, for the first time in ages. So good!
1. listening… to DJ Riko’s 2016 Christmas mix—the latest addition to one of my favourite holiday traditions.
3. thinking… of about four different story ideas. Writing begets writing. I hadn’t exactly forgotten that, but it’s nice to be reminded.
4. starting… my Christmas baking. How did I ever survive without a stand mixer? (Or a dishwasher?)
5. watching… Luke Cage. (It’s taken me a while to make room in my TV schedule.)
6. loving… the margherita pizza at Morris East. So good.
7. cursing… the cold. I miss autumn already.
8. finalizing… my plans for 2017.
9. making… gingerbread waffles. (Still using this fantastic recipe.)
10. accepting… the fact that my routine is going to fall apart starting tomorrow.
1. catching… up on some of the TV shows that have been taking up DVR space.
2. realizing… that I didn’t post this month’s ‘Note to Self.’ I won’t say it was intentional, but it kind of was. I just ran out of time at the end of November, and something had to give. (And, to be honest, some of the regularly scheduled posting will probably be a bit… scattered… over the next few weeks.)
3. dealing… with a cold. 🤒
4. easing… back into my routines, post-NaNo, while still trying to maintain the writing habit I’ve established. (Also, I want to get the draft I started in November finished by Christmas.)
5. hoping… to get out and start my Christmas shopping soon. I wanted to start, like, two weeks ago, but this stupid cold got in the way.
6. trying… a new bread recipe (and making soup—from scratch!—for the first time ever).
7. cracking… open a brand-new notebook. 💖
8. thinking… about a new story idea. I may have created a monster with this whole ‘writing again’ thing.
9. making… plans. So many plans.
10. forgetting… to schedule this post. Oops. Just pretend it went up yesterday.
1. remembering… that I was supposed to get this post up yesterday. Oops.
2. wondering… whether someone at Canada Post has been reading the books I ordered. (Seriously—the package has been at the local sorting facility since last Tuesday. It’s embarrassing.)
3. cleaning… up so many old files.
4. perfecting… a recipe I’ve been tweaking forever. Finally. (I also settled on what to make for Easter dessert, so it’s been a good couple of weeks, cooking-wise.)
5. looking… at fabric. I think I’ve chosen something new for the desk chair.
6. getting… to work. The massive planning session is over, and now it’s time to start putting plans into action.
7. thinking… about perfectionism. It’s been a problem. I need to do something about it.
8. trying… to remember that, sometimes, perfectionism isn’t a bad thing.
9. checking… things off my lists. It’s a good feeling.
10. eating… so many Cadbury Creme Eggs. So many.
1. loving… sweater weather.
2. trying… not to let nervousness turn into anxiety.
3. making… these tacos. And they are amazing.
4. figuring… out what I still need to get done. (Too much stuff, not enough time.)
5. feeling… relieved that I voted early—it was quick and relatively painless, despite the paperwork, and I would’ve hated having to stand in the lines I’m hearing about at the advance polls this weekend. (Hint: I did not vote for the party that made it more difficult to vote.)
6. thinking… about how I rely too heavily on routines. When they (inevitably) get broken, I always struggle to get back on track. I’d like to find a better way to do things.
7. learning… more about old coins than I ever really wanted to.
8. counting… the days.
9. wondering… how I ever managed without a stand mixer. Seriously: Life. Changing.
10. watching… so many romantic comedies and action movies. So many. This is what happens when I come down with a cold.