1. easing… back into my (good) routines, and trying not to fall back into the less-helpful ones.
2. trying… Scrivener. It’s taking a bit of time to get used to, but I might like it? I’m not sure yet.
3. marvelling… at the clerk in the camera store that directed his entire sales pitch to the guy who was with me, even after we both made it clear that I was the one who was making the decisions. (And I just said it was my favourite camera shop. I’m a little less sad it’s closing now.)
4. watching… the tracking info for… a bunch of stuff. Alternately cursing Canada Post (for never scanning anything) and USPS (for scanning my parcel a dozen times without actually moving it anywhere.)
5. rereading… Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon. It’s a good way to find my motivation again.
6. rethinking… pretty much everything. (This is the problem with trying to reestablish routines.)
7. hating… the cold. The last few days have been brutal.
8. organizing… revision notes.
9. looking… at all the hand-lettering lessons I’ve got saved. It’s a bit overwhelming.
10. feeling… weirdly unsettled by the whole new year thing. I’m not sure what it is this year, but… yeah.
1. taking… steps to eliminate some of my more annoying distractions. Or trying to, at least.
2. eating… all the Cadbury Creme Eggs.
3. cutting… my hair. Finally. I’ll probably regret it in a few weeks when I start running again and can’t pull it back, but for now, it’s fantastic.
4. thinking… about art and craft and process.
5. watching… Black Panther. So good. (And this time, I don’t have to wait two months to read all the analyses!)
6. feeling… simultaneously frustrated and motivated. It’s… actually not a bad place to be.
7. saving… every single resource linked in this article for future reference. (Writers: take a look! There’s a lot of potential usefulness here.)
8. cursing… Canada Post. Which I end up doing every single time I order something. (All of my parcels did eventually arrive. So that’s nice.)
9. enjoying… the 100 Days of Black & White project more than I thought I would. Mostly. (More on that subject later today.)
10. looking… at cupcake recipes. Still.
1. searching… for simple (but nice!) unscented candles. When did they become so difficult to find? (Scented candles do not belong on the dinner table. And yet.)
2. accepting… that I’m just in a weird headspace right now, and the only real creative work that will be done for the rest of the year is making plans for 2018.
3. reminding… myself that I tend to blow things out of proportion. It’s never as bad/weird/whatever as I imagine it’s going to be.
4. listening… to DJ Riko’s Merry Mixmas 2017. I say it every year, but these mixes are amazing, and they always put me in the Christmas spirit. (I’ve been downloading these mixes every year since 2005.)
5. rolling… my eyes at USPS package tracking. I’m getting updates every day (which Canada Post could learn from, btw), but my parcel keeps bouncing back and forth between San Francisco and Denver.
6. getting… myself motivated for the upcoming review & goalsetting session. It’s one of my very favourite things, and I think this year’s going to be a good one.
7. freaking… out just a little bit. I felt like I had plenty of time before Christmas and the new year… until I didn’t.
8. making… gingerbread cardamom waffles. (Like: literally, at the moment this post goes live, that’s what I’m doing.) It’s turned into a bit of a tradition on the day that I decorate the tree. They’re so good.
9. trying… to catch up with everything I ignored during NaNoWriMo. (Oh, look: Pinterest has fixed the issue with the feed, but it’s still so full of ads that I don’t want to bother.)
10. wondering… if the extended metaphor I came up with the other day is actually the seed of a story. (It could be a pretty badass YA thing. Or it could be Marvel fanfic that I’m never ever going to write. Even if it would be cool.)
1. taking… steps to find my inspiration & motivation again.
2. playing… with kittens. 😻
3. hoping… for a pleasant surprise when they announce the next Doctor later today.
4. remembering… why I should never give in to an impulse buy, no matter how tempting. Grr.
5. catching… up with my 365 project! Finally. (It’ll still be a couple of days before I’m completely caught up, but I’m getting there. The pictures will be up here by the end of this week, I promise.)
6. attempting… that ice cream recipe that’s been giving me trouble. I think I know what’s been going wrong (chemistry!), and this should confirm it one way or the other.
7. starting… the painting. You know the one.
8. searching… for a bag that’ll hold all my stuff. The one I thought was perfect… wasn’t. (See #4, above.)
9. wondering… why Canada Post never bothers to scan parcels. Ever. (I wonder this every single time I order something that ships via Canada Post. It’s maddening.)
10. practicing… with my Lomo’Instant. I am determined to learn how to use this thing properly.
1. feeling… bored. With a lot of things.
2. making… friends with the neighbour cat. I’ve wanted to say ‘hi’ to her(?) ever since her people moved in, but this week was the first time I was outside at the same time she was. (She’s very friendly and fluffy. 😻)
3. rewriting… the NaNoWriMo story. It’s… a lot of work. But I’m happy with it. And I’m really happy to be back to putting words on the page.
4. getting… a bunch of books that’ve been on my list for ages. (And one of them is step one in those plans I was talking about a couple of weeks ago.)
5. starting… a couch-to-5K program, and modifying my usual workout accordingly. (Translation: everything hurts, in a good way. Mostly.)
6. baking… chocolate-Guinness cake. So good.
7. playing… with my DSLR, and remembering that I actually really love it. I rely on my phone so much lately—and I do sometimes appreciate the limitations—but I need to use the real camera more often.
8. cursing… Canada Post. They’re kind of terrible at scanning the parcels I’m waiting for. (The parcels did eventually arrive.)
9. hoping… to get into a routine that works for me next week. Between the new workout schedule, baking, and trying to fit errands in around the weather, this week was kind of a mess.
10. thinking… about what to read next.
1. remembering… that I was supposed to get this post up yesterday. Oops.
2. wondering… whether someone at Canada Post has been reading the books I ordered. (Seriously—the package has been at the local sorting facility since last Tuesday. It’s embarrassing.)
3. cleaning… up so many old files.
4. perfecting… a recipe I’ve been tweaking forever. Finally. (I also settled on what to make for Easter dessert, so it’s been a good couple of weeks, cooking-wise.)
5. looking… at fabric. I think I’ve chosen something new for the desk chair.
6. getting… to work. The massive planning session is over, and now it’s time to start putting plans into action.
7. thinking… about perfectionism. It’s been a problem. I need to do something about it.
8. trying… to remember that, sometimes, perfectionism isn’t a bad thing.
9. checking… things off my lists. It’s a good feeling.
10. eating… so many Cadbury Creme Eggs. So many.